Monday 22 November 2010

Olney Runners Squeaky Bone Race

On the 7th November I had the pleasure of leading Gordon's Gophers in their attempt to take the prize for first mixed team in the Olney Runners Squeaky Bone Race. The race itself a cross country relay, with 4 x 3 mile legs (which infact measured according to my trusty Garmin at 3.5 miles).

The team after various individuals having to pull out due to other commitments was;

Jane Hughes (my trusty partner from my first ever Colworth Marathon Challenge)
Rowland Cleverley (Olney Runner and new found fellow MK Park Run runner)
Ben Lester (my brother-in-law, set to run his first ever race)
Gordon Passee (the main man, captain, the head honcho)

On the day the weather was fine but conditions were muddy due to previous days rain (all part and parcel with cross country, but how I hate the slippery stuff). It was a hotly contested race, Jane set out on the first leg and came in at 29:49 mins handing over to Ben. He was off, closing ground on earlier starters and doing very well based on the fact it's his first race and to top it all he was running with road shoes on a slippery surface, second leg completed 30:49 minutes. The hand over to Row, how would he do as he was already nursing an injured hamstring and how would I do, the nerves setting in as I had to wait for my leg of the race. Standing ready to set off on the last leg in my new Mizuno trail running shoes, Row headed in at 30:32 minutes and I was off.....go, go, go. Running hard but at the same time keeping in mind that I needed to reserve energy for the uphill finish I targeted earlier runners and managed to pick off two into the final home straight (I shan't mention the Nationwide lady runner that passed me, she's obviously younger and must be a professional....that's my excuse!). Across the line in 29:06 minutes giving the team an overall running time of 2hrs 00:16 and a finishing place of 18th, only 7 seconds behind Nationwide Ladies......damn my sprint finish, more speed, more speed!

So there you have it, an enjoyable event with a great team....roll on next year.

No comments: